Re: Loading UTF8 fixed length file using SQL Loader 8i

From: HansF <>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 19:09:15 GMT

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 05:18:23 -0800, Nicolas Mayoraz wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm trying to load an UTF8 file with fixed length record using SQL
> Loader for Oracle 8i.
> Unfortunately, SQL Loader does not make the difference between bytes
> and characters. i.e. that if two bytes are used to code an accentuated
> character (like ) SQL loader will consider that two caracters has
> been read meaning that beginning of next field will be shifted.

(Just pointers, as I haven't tried this yet ...)

You might find Case Study 11 "Loading Data in the Unicode Character Set" and Chapter 5 "Handling Different Character Encoding Schemes" of interest. For Oracle9i R2 Look up Chapter 10 of the Utilities manual at

/Hans Received on Tue Jan 04 2005 - 20:09:15 CET

Original text of this message