Re: Oracle on Windows Server Vs Xp-Pro

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 15:35:38 +1100

Newton Bolton wrote:
> More Eula:
> "You may permit a maximum of ten (10) ("Connection Maximum") computers
> or other electronic devices (each a "Device") to connect to the
> COMPUTER to utilize one or more of the following services of
> the SOFTWARE: File services, Print services, Internet
> Information services, and remote access (including connection
> sharing and telephony services)." ... [..SNIP..] ... This ten
> connection maximum does not apply to any other uses of the Product."
>
> ===========================
>
> My interpretation of this is that Oracle database connections are NOT
> limited by this clause at all, because it is not in the list of things
> that ARE limited ( assuming you interpret "Remote Access" to mean MS
> remote access virtual desktop software, which is the way I interpret it.
>
> --Newt

I don't know what EULA you are quoting, and it would help to be specific. Mine is from my current laptop XP Pro SP2 installation and does not read as you have it above. Mine says, as I quoted earlier:

"You may permit a maximum of ten (10) computers or other electronic devices (each a "Device") to connect to the Workstation Computer to utilize the services of the Product solely for File and Print services, Internet Information Services, and remote access (including connection sharing and telephony services)."

Where you have "...to utilize one or more of the following services", therefore, mine reads "utilize the services SOLELY for...". Mine is quite explicit: if it's not File and Print services, IIS or Remote Access, forget it: it's not permitted. Yours is indeed very permissive... but then, as I say, I have no idea what EULA you're quoting from.

But this now merely becomes idle speculation. I suggest you (or whoever needs a definitive answer) either search Google (where my interpretation has been supported in the past), or consult Microsoft, who are not nearly as tricky/restrictive as you suggest in another post. Or consult a lawyer.

Best practice, I would have thought, would be to take the most cautious approach, rather than the most generous and permissive.

HJR Received on Thu Dec 23 2004 - 05:35:38 CET

Original text of this message