Re: Oracle-mode Firebird

From: Newton Bolton <nospam_at_nospam.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 15:18:18 -0600

I have read some of this material, and found that Firebird is a free database that is based on Interbase, which was developed at Dec, taken over by Borland, and then released as as open source by Borland in 2000.

Firebird continues to be Open Source, free of any license fees even for commercial use.

Phoenix, seems to be a visual development environment that uses Object Basic (lose one point) It is also free.

Fyracle is an interpretor or compiler for Oracle PL/SQL. (Hence, it IS an Oracle Tool) If this works, it could be useful for those of us sick of Oracle's recent huge price increases for Forms/Reports installations.

The site that distributes these tools is http://www.janus-software.com and the only thing I can see that they sell is consulting, training , setup and configuration. This makes their business model very similar to Red-Hat. You can get everything free, or, they will make it easier for you by providing an installation kit ( EUR 49.95 ) and a support contract.

Also posted at http://tinyurl.com/3qp8g

--
http://www.csorkldev.com promotes Oracle Forms Reports Client Server,
and alternatives to Oracle Forms/Reports.  I will try to gather useful

--Newton