9.0.1 install on Linux, runInstaller starts, and then stops, no error messages...

From: cayenne <chilecayenne_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 3 Dec 2004 07:57:45 -0800

[Quoted] HI all,

[Quoted] I've been tossed an Oracle 7.3.4 database I have to manage...I have the Oracle 10G client that installed on my Gentoo Linux box with no problem. Trouble is, this client is too new to connect to the old database.

I've found that the last version of the Oracle client I can connect with is the 9.0.1 release. A long time back...I was able with some playing around to get this client installed on another box....but, I can remember what it was I had to do or the site that helped me.

I've copied all the Disk files to the HD. I run Disk1/runInstaller.

It tells me : Initializing Java Virtual Machine from
/tmp/OraInstall/jre/bin/jre Please wait....

And then it quits, and does nothing. I looked in the file:
/tmp/OraInstall/jre/bin/jre and it is empty. I looked, and my
JAVA_HOME = /opt/blackdown-jkd-1.4.1

I'm only wanting to install the client, not the database...

I've tried linking the /tmp/OraInstall/jre ->
/opt/blackdown-jkd-1.4.1/jre thinking it was having problems finding
the jre. When I did this...it didn't say it was initializing the Java Virtual machine...just did nothing, and returned the command prompt.

I thought I remember last time, going into one of the Disk1 files, and changing something simple and it fired right up...but, don't remember what nor where I saw what to do....

Anyone out there with some suggestions?

TIA chilecayenne Received on Fri Dec 03 2004 - 16:57:45 CET

Original text of this message