Quick and dirty query tool

From: WQ <noreply_at_no-reply-mail.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 03:02:39 GMT

[Quoted] Hello Folks,

[Quoted] [Quoted] I was wondering if anyone can suggest a good but not too expensive Visual Query Tool, which will make do the following:

1. Build my joins by drag and drop columns between tables
2. Build my output clause by double clicking on displayed column list
3. Support native oracle functions like decode, nvl etc. (See more on this
later).

[Quoted] Okay, there are perhaps a lot of tools out there. I myself have evaluated a few and most of them were very expensive compared to my minimal needs. Two [Quoted] of them, which I frequently use are Microsoft Access and PL/SQL Query Reporter by All Round Automation.

Here are the Pros and Cons:

  1. MS Access Pros: Extremely Fast because, when you link the table using an ODBC DSN, it caches [Quoted] the data dictionery. This makes joing tables very fast. Cons: Does not support native Oracle functions like Decode, NVL etc. The SQL, which comes out is not formatted properly. You will et dizzy by the number [Quoted] of parenthesis it generates. Uses ODBC connections only vs ADO.
  2. PL/SQL Query Reporter Pros: Creates nicely formatted queries. Cons: Everything else is bad about this tool. It is slow, because it queries the [Quoted] DDL at the time of joining tables. Stores queries in a proprietary format, [Quoted] making it virtually unusable, if you were to switch tools.

I am currently evaluating Advanced Query Tool and DB Kwik Edit.

I would appreciate any input you can provide on this subject.

Regards.

Walt. Received on Fri Dec 03 2004 - 04:02:39 CET

Original text of this message