Re: Oracle 8.1.7.4 - Dataguard 3.0.2 - AIX_32 - Switchover Error

From: Andy France <andyATzespriDOTcom>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 13:11:26 +1300

Andy France wrote:
> I am testing Dataguard in the above environment - simple setup with 2
> hosts, following the recommendations starting on page 2-41 on the manual
> (A95293-01).
>
> Setting up the primary and standby went well, and logged were being
> shipped OK after issuing alter system switch logfile; on the primary.
>
> When I first ran switchover, it got as far as completing step 10 but
> failed on step 11 with the following errors in the log:
>

> Step 10: Open new production database completed
> Step 11: Started: Mount New Standby zt1sv1
> Substep 11.1: Synching password file on standby completed
> Substep 11.2: Create new standby controlfile completed: \
> /oracle/ZTX/817_32/dataguard/sys/StbyControlFileZTX.dbf
> shipper_DispatchXfrJob[4]: /usr/bin/cksum: 0403-057 Syntax error
> Substep 11.3: Shipping new standby controlfile failed: \
> /oracle/ZTX/817_32/dataguard/sys/.ControlFileCopyList_ZTX
> Step 11: Mount new standby database failed
> ALERT: switchover failed
>

> It looks like there is an error in the use of /usr/bin/cksum. I thought
> maybe the file was missing, but /usr/bin/cksum /nosuchfile gives a
> different error message on this platform. I can't duplicate the
> 0403-057 message at the command line.
>
> Does anyone have an idea on how I can resolve this? I'm getting ready
> to start testing again from scratch but would hate to just get back to
> this point.

I've sorted this particular error out - changing shells from tcsh to csh has resolved the cksum issue. I'm stuck with using csh for the oracle user as this is an old SAP R/3 database :-(

Having got past that one, I then got errors with the standby controlfiles...

   Step 10: Started: Open New Production

     Substep 10.1: Opened new production database completed
     Substep 10.2: Rename MISSING files completed
     Substep 10.3: Online READONLY tablespaces completed
     Substep 10.4: Add tempfiles completed
   Step 10: Open new production database completed    Step 11: Started: Mount New Standby zt1sv1
     Substep 11.1: Synching password file on standby completed
     Substep 11.2: Create new standby controlfile failed: database \
       nomount failure

   Step 11: Mount new standby database failed ALERT: switchover failed

This required modifications to dgdsover.sh, and splitting the "GetControlFileNameQuery" name query for the new standby database into three seperate dgdIssueSQL calls.

So switchover is now working OK - move along, nothing more to see here. Received on Wed Dec 01 2004 - 01:11:26 CET

Original text of this message