Re: Oracle Forms text justification problem

From: Joe <heltibrand_at_NO_SPAMkarpel.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 13:54:57 -0600

[Quoted] "Ben Beishline" <bbeishline_at_networld.com> wrote in message news:56f6bdb.0411041420.4449e1bc_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on an Oracle Forms app and the justification is doing
> something strange. I have fields set to left justified, and they
> justify to the left until there is more text than the field can
> display, at which time they switch to right justification, showing the
> end of the text at the right and chopping off the beginning of the
> text at the left. Users are comlaining because they have to click in a
> field and arrow over to the left in order to see the beginning of the
> text. This problem apparently started happening after a conversion to
> Forms 6.0.8.24.1. I wasn't here at the time of the conversion so I
> don't know many of the details. I don't know what the previous forms
> version was, but could probably find out if it would help troubleshoot
> the problem.
>
> I tried all of the other justification settings for kicks, and they
> all do pretty much the same thing: justify however they are set until
> the text fills more than the text item has room for, and then they
> right justify.
>
> I'm wondering if there is some kind of global setting somewhere that
> is messing with me, or if it is some other Forms weirdness. Someone
> suggested I try deleting and recreating a field, which I did to no
> avail. Many fields are affected by it, but not all, and I can't see
> anything obviously different about them, though I could well be
> missing something.
>
> Can anyone tell me what is going on, and/or more importantly, how to
> fix it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ben

I think what you are seeing is "normal" behaviour. I think this is just like when we have a large multi-line text item (like a notes field). When the user tabs to that field, all the text is selected and the cursor positioned to the end of the item by default. Users were complaining that if they accidentally hit a key after tabbing to the item, all the existing text was replaced by the keystroke. I had to do some goofey things to unselect the text and reposition to the start of the item.

I'd be happy to share what I did if you are still interested.

Joe Received on Mon Nov 29 2004 - 20:54:57 CET

Original text of this message