Re: Oracle Backup for dummies?

From: Tom Barnes <nospam1978_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 14 Nov 2004 22:00:11 -0800

fitzjarrell_at_cox.net (David Fitzjarrell) wrote in message news:<9711ade0.0411141356.31b93d0_at_posting.google.com>...
> nospam1978_at_yahoo.com (Tom Barnes) wrote in message news:<5af28966.0411130951.1206cfac_at_posting.google.com>...
> >
> > fitzjarrell_at_cox.net (David Fitzjarrell) wrote:
> > > Use MySQL. It's cheap, easy and can be run by the dumbest of users.
> > > And, recovery is a snap since all you need do is restore a directory
> > > tree.
> >
> > Sounds like a good idea except that ArcSDE doesn't run on MySQL.

> Therefore, I shouldn't care if ArcSDE works with MySQL or not; the OP
> cannot be bothered to actually LEARN Oracle, yet expects to use it
> without effort on his/her part. If a Ph.D. candidate cannot learn the
> tools required to earn his/her advanced degree, possibly their efforts
> should be directed elsewhere.
>
> My two cents.
>
> David Fitzjarrell

I think the OP didn't realize that Oracle isn't point'n click but that it is a RDBMS that takes months (or years) to learn. I also think the OP was primarily interested in running ArcSDE and didn't care too much about the underlying RDBMS. I can certainly understand that, why spend a few months learning Oracle DBA skills when your Ph.D. might be about Geography (or whatever it is)?

My advice to the OP is to use Microsoft SQL Server instead of Oracle. You can run ArcSDE on it and it's easier to use than Oracle (but less powerful). Received on Mon Nov 15 2004 - 07:00:11 CET

Original text of this message