Re: Oracle Backup for dummies?

From: David Fitzjarrell <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 12 Nov 2004 21:00:04 -0800

"tpcolson" <tpcolson_at_unity.ncsu.edu> wrote in message news:<cn30bb$ffc$1_at_uni00nw.unity.ncsu.edu>...
> I've set up an Oracle 9i (9.0.2) database to serve as a spatial repository
> for ArcSDE GIS data (www.esri.com). Now....I am by no means a db admin...or
> a SQL programmer. This DB is for storage of GIS data related to a PhD
> project...and in a university setting....users are their own IT shop. The
> challenge is...I need to figure how to configure enterprise manager console
> to do backup/recovery. SO far, I've configure the dataspace holding the
> spatial data to be in "Archive Log Mode" and it runs fine...etc...I can even
> do online or offline backups. The problem is...I've been testing to see if I
> can do a recovery from the backups I've made...using the wizard in
> enterprise manager console. The recovery never works, and the database never
> starts up again, due to any number of what seems like a 100 errors. Now..one
> would think, that if you click the "recover button", it would perform a
> recovery, right? Is there anything I'm missing here? I really can't get into
> all that SQL stuff for performing recoveries. I'm trying to set this up so
> even the dumbest user (myself) can click a button or two and execute a
> recovery after they delete two weeks of project data. Thanks for any advice.

[Quoted] Use MySQL. It's cheap, easy and can be run by the dumbest of users. And, recovery is a snap since all you need do is restore a directory tree.

So much easier than Oracle. Probably because it does so much less than Oracle.

You reap what you sow, and, from the tenor of your post, you haven't sown much, nor are planning to. Which makes MySQL the perfect product for you.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Sat Nov 13 2004 - 06:00:04 CET

Original text of this message