Re: Oracle Forms Developer error on Oracle9i Developer Suite

From: OracleGuy <rvkakani_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 11 Nov 2004 11:12:07 -0800

fransh_at_hotmail.com (Frans H.) wrote in message news:<31abf0e5.0410260202.15438bf2_at_posting.google.com>...
> "Nathan Sokalski" <njsokalski_at_verizon.net> wrote in message news:<A_Cdd.948$Nf7.513_at_trndny02>...
> > When I attempt to run a form created with Oracle9i Forms Builder I receive a
> > dialog box asking for the following info:
> >
> > User Name:
> > Password:
> > Database:
> >
> > I obviously know my User Name and Password, and I assume that the value I
> > use for Database is the value found in the tnsnames.ora file (in my case,
> > ORCL). However, when I do this I receive the following error:
> >
> > ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name
> >
> > I do not receive this error when logging into SQL*Plus or entering my
> > username and password for Enterprise Manager Console, but those do not have
> > a Database: field to fill in and have a different Oracle Home directory,
> > which causes me to think that the problem is either the value I am entering
> > in the Database: field or some setting that I do not know of. I am using
> > Oracle9i Database Personal Edition and Oracle9i Developer Suite on Windows
> > XP Professional SP2. If any more information is necessary, let me know what
> > it is and how to find it (since I am new to database administration). Any
> > help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Nathan,
> you might have more then 1 oracle home, one for your database, and 1
> for the developer tools. Find out if you have more than 1 tnsnames
> file, and if so, make them equal (or change the registry settings so
> that they point to the same file),
>
> hth
> Frans

Just as an FYI, when even you install a new Oracle product on top of the existing Oracle Products, Oracle makes the default Oracle Home to the Home of the newly Installed Products. To recognize the previous TNS Names.ora which you have build painstakingly, all you have to do is change the dafault home by using Oracle Home Selector by going to Start-->Programs-->Oracle Installation Products-->Oracle Home Selector

Change it back the previously installed Oracle Home, and you would successfully connect to all your TNS Services without "ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name" error.

Hope this helps Received on Thu Nov 11 2004 - 20:12:07 CET

Original text of this message