Re: UncleOra for Oracle - tool with a script library and an advanced grid for developers and DBAs

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 3 Nov 2004 15:18:42 -0800

uncleora_at_uncleora.com (UncleOra) wrote in message news:<d200c933.0411030623.352f3091_at_posting.google.com>...
> joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote in message news:<91884734.0411021725.2de51581_at_posting.google.com>...
> > uncleora_at_uncleora.com (UncleOra) wrote in message news:<d200c933.0411010523.9e3f1d5_at_posting.google.com>...
> > > UncleOra for Oracle is a multi-threaded SQL and PL/SQL tool with a
> > > script library and an advanced grid for developers and DBA.
> > > With UncleOra you can build and execute queries, create database
> > > objects and develop SQL and PL/SQL code.
> > > It simplifies day-to-day administration tasks, data exportation and
> > > reporting from the grid.
> > >
> > > Visit us at http://www.uncleora.com
> >
> > Latvia? LATVIA??? You want us to authorize money to be sent to LATVIA????
> >
> > Are you trying to hide something?
> >
> > jg
>
> Dear, sir!
>
> What do you have against Latvia (http://www.lv) - an EU member since
> May 2004?

[Quoted] Google for "Latvia scam" and you may see.

From an official US State Department government site about Latvia:

Internet crime is a growing concern in Latvia. Common fraudulent schemes involve both Internet auction sites and Internet job search sites. In the first scam, criminals offer valuable items for sale at low prices on Internet auctions and request that payment be sent by wire transfer to a bank in Latvia or though a fraudulent escrow site that they have created themselves. In this scheme the money passes through a bank in Latvia and is quickly withdrawn by ATM or transferred to a bank in another country. It is very difficult in these cases to discover the identities of the account holders or recover the funds.

The second common scam involves identity theft through false job offers. In this scheme, a company claiming to be located in Latvia, but which has a non-existent address, offers the victim employment as a U.S.-based agent or freight forwarder. When the victim responds to the job offer, commonly posted on one of several popular internet job sites, a Social Security number and other identifying information-needed for the identity theft-is required under the guise of conducting a background check.

> You have nothing to worry about, because all registration procedures
> are made through the authorized registrators - RegSoft and Share-It.

It ain't the authorized "registrators" I would be worried about.

I'm more concerned about a web site that has no information about who is behind the product, or what it really is doing. To me, that is a red flag: are these students, criminals, hackers, what? Are they a [Quoted] bunch of Russians with a different set of ethics than is the norm in American business? Or just a bunch of inept marketers who stole some product from elsewhere? Or even a legitimate company trying to make a buck with a decent product? No way to tell. Certainly not by downloading an .exe!

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2004/11/02/sobig.html