Re: Oracle Forms Developer error on Oracle9i Developer Suite

From: prisilia <>
Date: 25 Oct 2004 05:29:18 -0700

"Nathan Sokalski" <> wrote in message news:<A_Cdd.948$Nf7.513_at_trndny02>...
> When I attempt to run a form created with Oracle9i Forms Builder I receive a
> dialog box asking for the following info:
> User Name:
> Password:
> Database:
> I obviously know my User Name and Password, and I assume that the value I
> use for Database is the value found in the tnsnames.ora file (in my case,
> ORCL). However, when I do this I receive the following error:
> ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name
> I do not receive this error when logging into SQL*Plus or entering my
> username and password for Enterprise Manager Console, but those do not have
> a Database: field to fill in and have a different Oracle Home directory,
> which causes me to think that the problem is either the value I am entering
> in the Database: field or some setting that I do not know of. I am using
> Oracle9i Database Personal Edition and Oracle9i Developer Suite on Windows
> XP Professional SP2. If any more information is necessary, let me know what
> it is and how to find it (since I am new to database administration). Any
> help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

i would like to say, username and password which you assign for oracle database.
while database is the service name you have created for accessing oracle database. refer to below, database = HP

HP =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = = 1521))     )
      (SERVICE_NAME = OracleDbase)

this ia the text in tnsnames.ora file , place the database name under the service name.

i think that is useful enough. I'm using SQLPlus to access the oracle database.

prisilia Received on Mon Oct 25 2004 - 14:29:18 CEST

Original text of this message