Re: Pro*C Question

From: HansF <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 02:11:02 GMT

paddy_nyr wrote:

> I'm new to Pro*C/C in general so can anyone give me some insite on where I
> might be going wrong?
> This is old code that I'm trying to modify.

Pro*C is a precompiler that turns embedded SQL into C based on a strigent set of rules. Those rules are documented in Oracle supplied documents such as

        Pro*C/C++ Precompiler Getting Started for Windows
        Pro*C/C++ Precompiler Programmer's Guide

found at http://www.oracle.com/pls/db92/db92.docindex?remark=homepage for Oracle9i Release 2 (for other versions, look at http://docs.oracle.com)

In addition to Pro*C you can code to the Oracle Call Interface (basically the 'raw' Oracle C API)

        Oracle C++ Call Interface Programmer's Guide
        Oracle Call Interface Developer's Guide for Windows
        Oracle Call Interface Programmer's Guide

You can also get examples and demos of each from the $ORACLE_HOME/oci/demo and $ORACLE_HOME/precomp/demo/proc directories.

However, I'm surprised that the sample you provided even compiled to the point that you were able to get meaningful interaction. Did you cut & paste, or just transcribe?

Under normal Pro*C, I would have expected a login section and a section like

        EXEC SQL
          SELECT reptyp
            INTO :reportType
            FROM reps_tab;

Also, you might want to check your C-language reference manual for string comparisons. One useful reference book I'd recommend (used it for years) is at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0070296898/

/Hans Received on Sat Oct 23 2004 - 04:11:02 CEST

Original text of this message