Re: How to call SQLLoader from a job?

From: HansF <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 21:05:56 GMT

Robert Scheer wrote:

> Hi Hans.
>
> I am using Oracle 8i. It seems that external tables are not supported
> by this version of Oracle.
>
> Yes, I am talking about the DBMS_JOB utility. I am trying to find a
> way to load a text file into a table, that can be simple enough to us
> to maintain.

Hopefully you will be in the position to move up to 9iR2 or 10g soon. However, while waiting, you could look at a few things that might provide suitable workarounds:

  1. extproc is the ability to call OS libraries (.DLL/Win and .so/*nix), and that in turn can invoke an OS routine.

Pain to set up, but look in the proc/demos directory for hints.

2) UTL_TCP package.

3) Install a 9i database (perhaps on a separate machine), use that to load the data and DBLink back to the 8i machine.

IMO, either is a kludge for what you need.

HTH
/Hans Received on Fri Oct 22 2004 - 23:05:56 CEST

Original text of this message