Re: Oracle Forms Developer error on Oracle9i Developer Suite

From: Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 07:31:30 +0200

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 00:00:32 GMT, "Nathan Sokalski" <njsokalski_at_verizon.net> wrote:

>When I attempt to run a form created with Oracle9i Forms Builder I receive a
>dialog box asking for the following info:
>
>User Name:
>Password:
>Database:
>
>I obviously know my User Name and Password, and I assume that the value I
>use for Database is the value found in the tnsnames.ora file (in my case,
>ORCL). However, when I do this I receive the following error:
>
>ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name
>
>I do not receive this error when logging into SQL*Plus or entering my
>username and password for Enterprise Manager Console, but those do not have
>a Database: field to fill in and have a different Oracle Home directory,
>which causes me to think that the problem is either the value I am entering
>in the Database: field or some setting that I do not know of. I am using
>Oracle9i Database Personal Edition and Oracle9i Developer Suite on Windows
>XP Professional SP2. If any more information is necessary, let me know what
>it is and how to find it (since I am new to database administration). Any
>help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

This is a FAQ, and the correct procedure is also documented. You have two different ORACLE_HOMEs, one for the database and one for for forms. Hence you have two $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/tnsnames.ora files. They are not identical, causing the error. Either set the TNS_ADMIN environment variable/registry string value to the correct one, or edit the incorrect one to make it correct.

There is no need to crosspost, as people responding here monitor all groups.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA