Re: HTML DB users?

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 10:32:50 -0400

"Sean Chang" <sean_at_cnfei.com> wrote in message news:414ae1ce$1_3_at_corp.newsgroups.com...
| I have done a small production site by using HTMLDB, one word: awesome!!!
| I have used Oracle OAS4, IAS1, 9iASR2... Jdeveloper, nothing
| works good like HtmlDB. I would say HTMLDB is the only
| Oracle Product after database itself really works right away from version1.
| ( I have not used Oracle Forms version 1, I know it works version 3)
|
| Please look here for my posts:
| http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jsp?forum=137&thread=239382&tstart=105&trange=15
| http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jsp?forum=137&thread=261617&message=794157#794157
| for more interesting discussion.
|
| sean
|
| "Mark C. Stock" <mcstockX_at_Xenquery .com> wrote in message
| > not much discussion about HTML DB recently
| >
| > anybody out there attempting to use it for anything at all?
| >
| > ++ mcs

Thanks, Sean.

In my initial review of generated forms, I found a lot of deficiencies... I'm sure some of them are simply a matter of working with the product longer, and some is probably a matter of product maturity.

Would you care to comment on these. I don't think I'm being too picky, if this is supposed to be an declarative 'as easy as Access' app builder, I would expect it would handle this kind of stuff. Also, I'd be interested if you wouldn't mind itemizing what you feel are its strengths.

  a.. No default LOVs for FKs
  b.. No checks for data changes before allowing navigation
  c.. Database errors displayed on separate screen -- link to return to edit page is not very apparent
  d.. Pop-up calendar does not highlight current date or currently selected date
  e.. No option to display PK values in generated forms?
  f.. No client-side validation -- no readily apparent JavaScript support?
  g.. Inconsistent functionality of 'CREATE' buttons -- sometimes means NEW, sometimes means SAVE
  h.. No option to refresh edit page after checksum error (checksum error is really, really ugly)
  i.. Generated forms for each of multiple tables all created with the same name (Update,Insert,Report,Success)
  j.. User-defined validations are at page level, not shared among pages
  k.. Data picker format is inflexible (does not analyze user input and do intelligent conversion)
  l.. Uses full page refreshes instead of frames or DHTML
  m.. No apparent settings for simple client-side validations like INPUT item maximum length (should at least default to VARCHAR2 length)
  n.. Buttons scroll of page (no frames or DHTML to keep buttons visible)
  o.. Mouse-centric (most users don't have 3 hands)
  p.. No search capabilities in the online help
  q.. 'Apply Changes' behavior is inconsistent -- sometimes closes page, sometimes not
Thanks!

++ mcs Received on Fri Sep 17 2004 - 09:32:50 CDT