Re: Oracle Reports 6i set break order at runtime?

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 10:53:07 -0400

"DM" <mackdaddy315_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:bf2880e.0409020616.d0102f9_at_posting.google.com...
| Hello folks,
| I want to be able to change an items break order dynmically. For
| instance in an parameter form trigger. Does anyone know how/if this
| can be accessed. Bacially I have a report with several sub-groups and
| want to be able to let the user to choose the sort order at the
| parameter screen. I can do this on reports with no groups but it won't
| work with groups as you have to have (at least from what I can tell)
| at least one break order set when using groups and the break order
| overrides the statements order by statement.
| Any help / clarrification would be greatly appreciated....

how about using a lexical parameter for the break group value in the SQL statement, with an alias.

this will allow the contents of the break (the column or columns referenced) to change without changing the field name in the report, hence, without changing the structure of the report

then your UI or a before-report (after parameter form?) trigger would validate that the value provided by the user is a valid column expression, or translate a reference value into the actual column expression needed for the grouping

++ mcs Received on Thu Sep 02 2004 - 16:53:07 CEST

Original text of this message