Re: weblogic connection pool

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 03:16:43 GMT

Oradba Linux wrote:

> "Oradba Linux" <techiey2k3_at_comcast.net> wrote in message
>

>>"Mark Bole" <makbo_at_pacbell.net> wrote in message

>>>Hoo boy (old Merkan expression for "WTF", "oh wow", etc).
>>>
>>>Answer: "as often as it needs to be". Depends on your Weblogic
>>>version, depends on your Oracle version, depends on your Java version,
>>>depends on your platform, depends on your application, depends on your
>>>shared vs. dedicated Oracle server, depends on your "remove infected
>>>connections" setting for the JDBC pool in Weblogic (you *are* talking
>>>about JDBC, right?)
>>>
>>>Try also comp.lang.java.databases
>>>
>>>HTH, Mark Bole
>>>

>>Oracle 9iR2 , weblogic 8.0 , dedicated server
>>

> Specifially does connection pools need to be refreshed when just a stored
> package body changes . We are not changing the package spec on the database
> side . We are using oracle 9iR2 .

One major purpose of packages is to prevent the database objects that depend on your declarations at the package level from becoming invalid when you change just the package body (not the signature). So my guess is, no, you don't have to refresh connections in the pool to pick up the new package body definition. In fact, this is my experience also. (Even stored procedures work this way).

But this really needs to be tested to be sure. The cost of refreshing pool connections is pretty low on an ad hoc basis (you can make it automatic, or manual from the console or command line), so the "just to be safe" approach (much as it can be distasteful) is to go ahead and refresh anyway.

--Mark Bole Received on Thu Sep 02 2004 - 05:16:43 CEST

Original text of this message