Re: mod_plsql vs java-based apps

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 09:15:21 -0400

"Hans Forbrich" <forbrich_at_yahoo.net> wrote in message news:zKjZc.83674$X12.57958_at_edtnps84...
| Mark C. Stock wrote:
|
| > Soliciting opinions on the pros & cons of mod_plsql-based application vs
| > java-based application.
| >
| > I'm sure there's a few opinions out there...
| >
| > ++ mcs
|
| I'd think we need a better handle on the environment to give a meaningful
| discussion. I'd expect a proper answer would involve the following, and a
| lot more (encouraging expansion of list):
|
| - is everything hand coded or are IDEs involved

IDEs and libraries

| - do we allow JSP & PL/SQL SP

[Quoted] [Quoted] PL/SQL SP is a pain -- no real advantage over well organized Web Toolkit development environment

[Quoted] Use of JSP vs mod_plsql is part and parcel of the discussion

[Quoted] If using both, how best could/should security be integrated?

| - what, if any, code is in place in either language

[Quoted] that's the point of the discussion -- pros and cons as to where to place what type of code

| - what is the ratio of database intensive work to 'computational'

ditto

| - can we utilize existing DB packages and suppied procedures

[Quoted] generalized discussion assumes fresh application, but i would think the same or similar issues using existing DB packages would be faced in either environment, but i'm suspecting mod_plsql would have an advantage

| /Hans

thanks for the start

++ mcs Received on Wed Sep 01 2004 - 15:15:21 CEST

Original text of this message