Re: JDeveloper vs Oracle Form

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 17:58:31 GMT

Krist wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We are going to develope something like HR application on Oracle
> database.
> Actually we want to develope in Java, but I know that it will be
> faster to develope in Oracle Form.
>
> What is the benefit of whether using Oracle Form or JDeveloper to
> develope Java application for database application ?
>
> Thank you for your comments,
> Krist

  • Oracle Forms is a rapid development tool designed around automating form-specific trigger management while fully understanding the capabilities of the database. [Quoted]
  • JDeveloper is a Java development tool that has the ability to assist in rich UI forms, but excels in creating Java components (servlets, EJBs, etc.) that are database aware.

One approach is to create the forms and the application rapidly using Oracle [Quoted] Forms, do the reports using Oracle Reports, create specific extensions for both using JDeveloper.

Another approach is to attempt to recreate Forms and Reports capability in native Java.

Amusingly - Forms, Reports and JDeveloper are part of the same package and are not mutually exclusive, so it's really a matter of learning what each tool can do and using the right tool for each part of the job. (Last time I saw a house built, the carpenters used a variety of tools there too.) Received on Fri Aug 06 2004 - 19:58:31 CEST

Original text of this message