Re: Web Services w/Oracle and lots of data - practical?

From: Jan <janik_at_pobox.sk>
Date: 15 Jul 2004 00:33:24 -0700

150,000+ records daily ....

with XML, you will:

  1. have few times (5-20 times) larger files
  2. have to encode relational data from source into XML and decode XML back into target
  3. probably cannot use Direct/Parallel Load Inserts

[Quoted] Once we (our dev. team) were forced to use such "STANDARD FORMAT" (XML) for Oracle to Oracle bulk
loads (data transfer inside of one department of the one company!!!), we ended up with more coding, more bugs, less flexibility (we had to split very large XML files into small ones since there were unmanageable) and unsolved management of the files (which directory, which permissions, what if file does not exists etc. etc) - we did not have time for it.