Re: Forms9i and referenced modules stored in the database

From: Suresh Bhat <oracleguru_at_lycos.com>
Date: 14 Jul 2004 08:25:48 -0700

stephan0h_at_gmx.net (stephan) wrote in message news:<8c00b102.0407130805.2449db4f_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> We want to upgrade some forms-modules to Froms9i. The problem is that
> they have references to other modules which are stored in our database
> which is, according to what I've heard so far, no longer supported
> with Forms9i. What's the easiest way to switch these references from
> going to the database to referencing the same modules in the
> file-system? What problems do we need to be prepared for? What about
> partially broken references?
>
> Thanks for any input!
>
> Stephan

I am talking from the experience when I converted forms 3.5 to Oracle Forms 6i
about 4 years ago.

It depends what you are referencing. If it is procedures, functions etc. then the solution is pretty simple relatively speaking.

You create an xyz.pll library and drag all those from reference forms on to that library, compile it(xyz.plx) and attach it to the new form.  You can also create several libraries depending on the functionality of the procs/functions, i.e. HR, ACCT etc. and attach 1 or several libraries to a form.

If you are referencing objects such as a common block to several forms, common triggers, common LOVs or any other objects or group of objects that are common to many forms then you have to put these in an object library and create XYZ.olb object library and then SUBCLASS the object to the form.

For example I have created a group template form for our company, which contains a window, a canvas, several common triggers and alerts with the Company name embedded on the form.

All forms that we create have these common attributes, then we drag and drop whatever other objects we need on to this form from object library tabs.

You may want to read Forms help on Libraries and subclass to get more information.

HTH Suresh Bhat Received on Wed Jul 14 2004 - 17:25:48 CEST

Original text of this message