Re: changing open_cursor in TOAD

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 19:34:33 +0200

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 07:41:06 -0400, dbyy <dbyy_at_nirvana.com> wrote:

>sybrandb_at_yahoo.com wrote:
>> dbyy <dbyy_at_nirvana.com> wrote in message news:<24IGc.22790$WM5.1031968_at_news20.bellglobal.com>...
>>
>>>hi everyone,
>>>
>>>I wonder whether someone can tell me - I'm sure someone can :-) -,
>>>why I can change the open cursor in one installation through TOAD
>>>and in another install I can't.
>>>These are two totally different installations.
>>>One install is Oracle 9.2 (can change cursors) the other one is Oracle
>>>V 8.1.5 (can't change cursors).
>>>
>>>Same is when I try to change the cursors through SQL*Plus, one is
>>>working, the other is not.
>>>
>>>I assume at the end it's the installation of Oracle.
>>>One install (V 9.2 which is working) I did by myself (default install),
>>>the other was installed by someone else (seems to me is a customized
>>>install) and possibly not proper installed.
>>>
>>>Might be someone can point me to the problem.
>>>
>>>Any help much appreciated.
>>>
>>>Tkx
>>>
>>>Fred
>>

>> In Oracle 9i you have the option to change dynamically almost all parameters.
>> This is a new feature of 9i.
>> And Oracle 8.1.5 was desupported in the previous century.
>>
>> Sybrand Bakker
>> Senior Oracle DBA
>
>Thank you Sybrand for your reply.
>The reason to talk about Oracle 8.1.5 is, because there are companies
>out there that still using older version of a database system
>(and V 8.1.5 is still available on Oracle's website).

I don't think so.
And those companies are just plain stupid, as Oracle will drop the phone on you if you submit unadressed errors.

>Do I have to understand your posting so that open_cursors can't be
>changed on Oracle V 8.1.5 through TOAD or SQL*Plus ?
It can't be changed *this* way.
You''ll need to edit the init.ora and bounce the database. It is a *static* parameter (which means no alter system and alter session possible) in 8i.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA