Re: Upgrade-problems to expect with SQL*Plus from 7 to 9?

From: Turkbear <john.g_at_dot.spamfree.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 12:35:00 -0500

oracleguru_at_lycos.com (Suresh Bhat) wrote:

>EFK <moeller_at_efk.de> wrote in message news:<MPG.1b4a0039a201757b989680_at_news.sunsite.dk>...
>> [This followup was posted to comp.databases.oracle.tools and a copy was sen
>> t to the cited author.]
>>
>> Dear colleagues,
>>
>> Are there any SQL*Plus commands in 7.3 that are not anymore supported in
>> 9iR2 / 10g?
>>
>> Thank you for your insight, Gerhard.
>
>Gerhard,
>
>I know that the 1 answer that you got was not what you were expecting.
>
>I just went through an upgrade last week from 7.3.4 to 9.0.1.
>
>The following is true for 9.2.0 also.
>
>I also have a another thread under my name Suresh Bhat in this
>newsgroup where I listed my problem with SQL*Plus flat file creation.
>
>For most practical purposes, SQL*Plus works same in both releases.
>
>If you do "show all" in SQL*Plus, you will see some more SQL*Plus set
>commands in 9.2.0.
>
>All SQL*Plus reports seem to be working fine and we have lots of them.
>I tried "set compatibility v7", it did not work. I tried to set
>sqlpluscompatibility to 7.3.4 and you cannot set it below 8.1.0.
>
>Only problem I have seen so far is that if you are generating flat
>files via SQL*Plus scripts and do not use "column format ...." for
>each column, your output flat files will be interspersed with blanks.
>
>Only way to fix that would be to use aliases for modified columns and
>then format the aliases/columns to what you want with "column xx
>format yyy ".
>
>Also, if you are concatenating several columns, you may need to make
>sure, you get what you are expecting.
>
>Hope that helps.
>

>Suresh Bhat

Just a note: If you are just upgrading the client side but still need to connect to a V7 database, so you run into a major problem..the 9.2 client cannot connect to a v7 database, just 8.0 and above...

You can have both clients installed , however, if you need v7 connectivity. Received on Tue Jun 29 2004 - 19:35:00 CEST

Original text of this message