Re: Upgrade-problems to expect with SQL*Plus from 7 to 9?

From: Suresh Bhat <oracleguru_at_lycos.com>
Date: 29 Jun 2004 10:28:48 -0700

EFK <moeller_at_efk.de> wrote in message news:<MPG.1b4a0039a201757b989680_at_news.sunsite.dk>...
> [This followup was posted to comp.databases.oracle.tools and a copy was sen
> t to the cited author.]
>
> Dear colleagues,
>
> Are there any SQL*Plus commands in 7.3 that are not anymore supported in
> 9iR2 / 10g?
>
> Thank you for your insight, Gerhard.

Gerhard,

I know that the 1 answer that you got was not what you were expecting.

I just went through an upgrade last week from 7.3.4 to 9.0.1.

The following is true for 9.2.0 also.

I also have a another thread under my name Suresh Bhat in this newsgroup where I listed my problem with SQL*Plus flat file creation.

For most practical purposes, SQL*Plus works same in both releases.

If you do "show all" in SQL*Plus, you will see some more SQL*Plus set commands in 9.2.0.

All SQL*Plus reports seem to be working fine and we have lots of them. I tried "set compatibility v7", it did not work. I tried to set sqlpluscompatibility to 7.3.4 and you cannot set it below 8.1.0.

Only problem I have seen so far is that if you are generating flat files via SQL*Plus scripts and do not use "column format ...." for each column, your output flat files will be interspersed with blanks.

Only way to fix that would be to use aliases for modified columns and then format the aliases/columns to what you want with "column xx format yyy ".

Also, if you are concatenating several columns, you may need to make sure, you get what you are expecting.

Hope that helps.

Suresh Bhat Received on Tue Jun 29 2004 - 19:28:48 CEST

Original text of this message