Re: Free database tools announcements - invitation to discussion

From: Ed prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: 23 Jun 2004 11:38:57 -0700

"Ron" <support_at_dbainfopower.com> wrote in message news:<TPCdnUkKzsqPjErdRVn-hw_at_comcast.com>...
> Dear colleague DBAs,
>

> I would like to open a discussion on a very painful topic (at least to a
> small number of forum long-timers) - the ability of DBAs and developers to
> freely share tools they create on comp.databases.oracle.tools forum.

I think we are really discussing a different kind of "sharing". []
> If commercial database software advertisement would be allowed, we would
> risk having too much noise messages that would interfere with the other
> information.
>

> While this concern seems to be valid, in my observation other database
> forums (DB2, Sybase, Mysql and SQL Server) that accept tool advertisements
> without any flame are not trashed, nor lose in discussion quality. So maybe
> the risk is not that great?

Those areas are also not as active as the oracle groups. []

> I think that a reasonable approach to this situation is to open the forum
> to announcements of free database tools (from both individual developers and
> companies).
>

> The only condition is that the announced tool stays free forever.

How does the recent free license to beta testers fit in this scenario?

Personally I see the line being greyed to the point of being erased by this line of reasoning.

> Some would argue that free tools would be used as an indirect
> advertisement, but wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that whoever produces
> something of good value to the community would like to have a token of
> attention in exchange?

They have my attention in .marketplace, why insert announcements in a discussion group? Received on Wed Jun 23 2004 - 20:38:57 CEST

Original text of this message