Re: Free database tools announcements - invitation to discussion

From: jhking <jhking_at_airmail.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 16:09:08 -0500

Daniel Morgan Wrote,

>> Ron,

> I don't see any issue at all Ron. Post the tools on your web site and
> advertise that fact at c.d.o.marketplace.
>
> How is anyone hurt by looking at c.d.o.marketplace?
> How is anyone hurt by posting their notice at c.d.o.marketplace?
> How is anyone imposed on by posting their notice in c.d.o.marketplace?
>
> Those interested will go there looking for tools and happily report to
> others what they found if they find things of value. Those that don't
> wish to be bothered will not go there ... but then if you have nothing
> to sell you have no reason to care that they didn't see your notice.
>
> Unless of course ... you are really spamming ... and looking for the
> largest audience for your spam.
>
> So which is it? If you are trying to just be helpful post where we ask.
> If you are looking for a larger audience for your spam ... try alt.test.

[Quoted] I don't generally visit c.d.o.marketplace unless I'm looking for a job, therefore I'm less likely to see such notices if only posted there. I'm [Quoted] not a software publisher so I have no ulterior motives here. I'm actually more annoyed by the long SPAM threads than by a single announcement of an available tool. I understand Daniel's disinterest in turning any of the groups into people's garbage bins for press releases,   but I don't think allowing free software to be announced will lead us that direction.

This is the Charter for this group
Comp.databases.oracle.tools is a news group provided for discussion of software applications and tools available from Oracle Corporation, or designed to work with Oracle applications. Developers of end-user applications will find this newsgroup most useful.

[Quoted] While usage has discouraged the posting of software announcements, there   is nothing in the charter making such postings off-topic. I agree with Ron that we should stop chastizing those who post about free Oracle-related tools. Received on Mon Jun 21 2004 - 23:09:08 CEST

Original text of this message