Re: Free database tools announcements - invitation to discussion

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:46:41 -0700

Ron wrote:

> Dear colleague DBAs,
>

> I would like to open a discussion on a very painful topic (at least to a
> small number of forum long-timers) - the ability of DBAs and developers to
> freely share tools they create on comp.databases.oracle.tools forum.
>

> In many cases such attempts are harshly shut down and flames (in my
> opinion) spread more ugly noise that any taken message itself alone.
>

> I see the current situation as a clear dilemma:
>

> If commercial database software advertisement would be allowed, we would
> risk having too much noise messages that would interfere with the other
> information.
>

> While this concern seems to be valid, in my observation other database
> forums (DB2, Sybase, Mysql and SQL Server) that accept tool advertisements
> without any flame are not trashed, nor lose in discussion quality. So maybe
> the risk is not that great?
>

> On the other side, by constantly flaming new tool messages (including
> open-source developments) the forum alienates the developer's community.
> This community has huge potential in creating free database tools that would
> be very suited to practical DBA needs - due to the fact that they would grow
> based on feedback from real DBAs on this forum.
>

> I think that a reasonable approach to this situation is to open the forum
> to announcements of free database tools (from both individual developers and
> companies).
>

> The only condition is that the announced tool stays free forever.
>

> Some would argue that free tools would be used as an indirect
> advertisement, but wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that whoever produces
> something of good value to the community would like to have a token of
> attention in exchange?
>

> This approach would enrich both communities - DBAs and developers and
> would help to bring great and free database tools to life.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ron,

[Quoted] [Quoted] I don't see any issue at all Ron. Post the tools on your web site and advertise that fact at c.d.o.marketplace.

How is anyone hurt by looking at c.d.o.marketplace? How is anyone hurt by posting their notice at c.d.o.marketplace? How is anyone imposed on by posting their notice in c.d.o.marketplace?

Those interested will go there looking for tools and happily report to others what they found if they find things of value. Those that don't wish to be bothered will not go there ... but then if you have nothing to sell you have no reason to care that they didn't see your notice.

Unless of course ... you are really spamming ... and looking for the largest audience for your spam.

So which is it? If you are trying to just be helpful post where we ask. If you are looking for a larger audience for your spam ... try alt.test.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu