Re: Question about connection to Oracle database in another Server

From: Turkbear <john.g_at_dot.spamfree.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 08:50:12 -0500

Ursula Lee <ursula.lee_at_thales-is.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>(FYI.. Oracle 9.2.0.1.0 running on HP-UX11)
>I have a Oracle Pro*C program used for loading data file into Oracle
>database. This program is running on DBMS (with Oracle database) server
>currently, but we plan to move our database into another server.
>
>So the enhancement will be : Pro*C program running on Server A, and
>Oracle database running on Server B.
>
>With this set up, I believe remote database connection string will help.
> Please confirm.
>
>My current Pro*C structure has syntax like:
>
>EXEC SQL CONNECT :username IDENTIFIED BY :password;
>
>And after the change, should I use the syntax like:
>
>EXEC SQL CONNECT :username IDENTIFIED BY :password at :db_name using
>:db_string;
>
>If yes, can you please tell me what the 'AT' parameter and 'USING'
>parameter is for ?
>
>I am wondering where we have to give the machine name, database name,
>protocol to use to connect, and IP, port etc??
>
>The machine name on which i am working (with Pro*C) is PBL1 and i am
>trying to connect to the remote database in DBMS, the database name is
>PBLDBMS.
>
>P.S. I believe this has nothing related to DB Link, correct?

Correct...Database Links are used for database to database communication..

What you will have is a fairly standard Client/Server relationship ( even though the client is a server)..

Install the correct version of the Oracle client on PBL1 and, in its tnsnames.ora file add an entry for the Oracle instance .

hth Received on Mon Jun 21 2004 - 15:50:12 CEST

Original text of this message