Re: Add database to tree

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 21:40:57 +1000

"David Gray" <police_at_spamcop.net> wrote in message news:a2ntc050fd54faedurfs4k38fm75po51nb_at_4ax.com...
> Greetings group,
>
> Windows Server 2003
> Oracle 9i (Release2).
>
> Ok I new to Oracle so pease don't shout ;-)
>
> Can anyone tell me how to add databases to the tree when in Oracle
> Management Server (OMS) mode as opposed to Standalone mode?
>

> Here are the steps I've taken, please let me know if I've missed
> anything obvious.
>

> 1. I've created a sample database called DG on the target machine.
>
> 2. Updated the service details in the TNSNAMES.ORA.
>
> DG =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = ZIRCON)(PORT = 1521))
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SERVER = DEDICATED)
> (SERVICE_NAME = DG)
> )
> )
>
> 3. Checked that the OMS sevice is running.
>
> 4. I've discovered the node and it appears in the nodes list. I also
> tried a refresh nodes.
>
> 5. There appears no way of adding the databases after their node has
> been discovered.
>
> I can view the database in standalone mode but not in OMS mode.

You need the intelligent agent to be aware of the databases before they will be discoverable inside OEM.

The intelligent agent is not, however, intelligent. It only "discovers" things by reading the contents of the listener.ora. That file must have a static declaration of all instances which you want the agent to know about. That requires an entry in the SID_LIST section of that file, along these lines:

LISTENER =
  (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
    (DESCRIPTION =

      (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = mozart)(PORT = 1521))
      )

    )
  )

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
  (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =

      (GLOBAL_DBNAME = win92.dizwell.com)
      (ORACLE_HOME = c:\oracle\ora92)
      (SID_NAME = win92)

    )
    (SID_DESC =
      (GLOBAL_DBNAME = xxx.dizwell.com)
      (ORACLE_HOME = c:\oracle\ora92)
      (SID_NAME = xxx)

    )
  )

With that file sorted, stop and re-start your listener. With that done, stop and re-start your agent. The contents of ORACLE_HOME\network\agent\services.ora should be inspected at the point to see if it makes reference to all the various instances you are hoping to see in OEM. If they're listed in services.ora, OEM will be able to find them. If not, not.

> I've managed to add in some Oracle Rdb databases running on a VMS box
> without error, I would like to define database links between these
> databases and the Oracle 9i databases on the Windows box.
>
> All I did for the Rdb databases was was discover the node they reside
> on and they appeared in the list.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Dave.
>
> PS - Never posted here before, are HTML posts ok?

HTML posts are never OK, because if you're reading them in pine or mutt they will appear rather odd. Stick to plain text. It's safer, and it gets you a bigger audience.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Jun 15 2004 - 13:40:57 CEST

Original text of this message