Re: Oracle Forms 6 : Best way to do multiple row validation ?

From: Sam Iam <thatsamiam_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 11 Jun 2004 14:29:55 -0700

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1086913773.206375_at_yasure>...
> Sam Iam wrote:
>
> > I often have data blocks where I need to validate columns across
> > multiple rows for situations where like a user must rank items & there
> > should be no gaps & no duplicates.
> >
> > What's the best place to put this multi-row validation ?
> >
> > A lot of the validation triggers seem to be row level & so checking
> > other rows is illegal.
>
> Assuming your design ... I'd put a trigger on any block the user
> could move to from that block to validate the entire block before
> allowing the move.

Thanks for your reply.

I found out that the post-forms-commit trigger is a fairly clean place to do this kind of validation.

The idea seems to be that from there one can use select validations on Forms copies of table data and then raise an exception to prevent Forms from commiting those to the actual database.

However I'd prefer a method that does multi-row validation as soon as the user leaves a data block. Received on Fri Jun 11 2004 - 23:29:55 CEST

Original text of this message