Re: SQL*Plus replacement available - SPAM SPAM SPAM

From: Open Wound <openwound5000_at_aol.com>
Date: 4 Jun 2004 20:43:38 -0700

[Quoted] "Ulrich Kobsa" <ulrich.kobsa_at_t-online.de> wrote in message news:<c9qjln$l85$04$1_at_news.t-online.com>...
> Ed prochak wrote:

<snip>

> My intention for posting an answer to Daniel was mostly the way he
> answered because from a first reading I didnīt find anything wrong
> about the original posting except from the no-name.
> To post an tool offer to a .tools group seems to be natural for me (I
> donīt read this group very regularly so I didnīt find it wrong).
> According to the .tools charter I find no sentence where it is
> explicitly told that tool offerings are not allowed to be posted here.
> It will only become clear when you also reading the .marketplace
> charter.
> But IMHO this is a very unnatural distinction. If I want to discuss
> about the offered tool I had to switch to a different group. Thatīs
> strange.

<snip>

[Quoted] I agree. Think about what would have happened if Daniel had been around some 12 years ago when Linus Torvalds made this post announcing Linux: http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=1991Oct5.054106.4647%40klaava.Helsinki.FI Daniel would have flamed Linus for his "product promotion", called Linus a spammer, demanded an apology and asked him to post in some "marketplace" newsgroup that no one ever reads.

There is a need for balance. If product vendors fill this newsgroup with advertisements then the newsgroup will be destroyed. At the same time it doesn't make sense to paint with a broad brush and attack even freeware programmers who may be trying to help people. Received on Sat Jun 05 2004 - 05:43:38 CEST

Original text of this message