Re: Moving from Delphi to Visual Studio. Smart move??

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 00:01:53 +0100

"Robert" <rchin_at_spammenot_panix.com> wrote in message news:pan.2004.05.29.01.22.05.357386_at_spammenot_panix.com...
> On Fri, 28 May 2004 09:18:13 +0200, Gijsie banged his/her head on the
> keyboard and created this message for all mankind/womankind:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > We are a small company (2 developers, 6 other people) and develop "out
of
> > the box" applications for local government. Our databaseplatform is
Oracle.
> > We will stick with Oracle since all out customers will stick with
Oracle. We
> > develop in Borland Delphi (with DOA-components) and in Borland JBuilder
> > (with JDBC). We are now considering to change our main development
platform
> > from Delphi to Microsoft Visual Studio.
>
> DON'T DO IT !!! Stay with Delphi...why would anyone switch from a
> beautiful technology to Virus Basic ?

Who knows I've never met virus basic. Oh it was 'humour' . I see you share a sense of humour with those humour articles at http://www.dba-oracle.com/articles.htm There's a classic right now about requiring female consultants to wear $200/oz perfume. I need suregery to my sides.

In the meantime.

The .net IDE and tools are however absolutely fantastic for developing solutions that run on either windows clients or windows app servers. If that isn't your target audience well hey no problem. If it is the .net platform ought at the very least to be seriously considered.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA