Re: SQL*Plus replacement available - SPAM SPAM SPAM

From: Ed prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: 4 Jun 2004 11:50:52 -0700

"Ulrich Kobsa" <ulrich.kobsa_at_t-online.de> wrote in message news:<c9lcl3$tvc$07$1_at_news.t-online.com>...
> Daniel Morgan wrote:

[]
> > That a spammer disagrees about how others react to his spam is rather
> > unremarkable.
> >
> > You are promoting a product.
> > You are spamming.
> > Stop it!
> > Or is courtesy too difficult a concept for you?
>
> Daniel,
>
> why are you reacting so rude?

When was Daniel rude, other than using a certain four letter word?

> ..... Ok, he/she is not using his/her realname
> and maybe .marketplace is the right group to post. But IMHO it is not
> so clear that new tools offerings cannot be posted on this group.

yes each group can set it's own culture. But I, Daniel, and others have tried to keep the separation clear. It is all too eay for a group to become useless if some guidelines are not followed.

> ..... Where
> it is forbidden in the charter? (btw: is this the right one:
> http://www.orafaq.com/usenet/charter2.htm ?) One may suggest it when
> reading the charter of .marketplace.
>
> And be honest: are you always reading the charter for every newsgropup
> you are posting?

That or reading the group for a period of time (the suggestion from news.newusers is to read a group for a month before posting). Either way, getting to know the people you are talking to is worthwhile.

> As long as the charter is not always the first post visible on top you
> cannot assume that everyone is reading the charter.

BUT you should be able to assume everyone is READING the group before POSTING. And that's exactly why NOT ignoring off topic posts and spam is so important.

> So please be a little bit more friendly and if you donīt like postings
> like the original, then ignore it.
>

> best regards,
> Ulrich

Daniel is very friendly. He is also very direct. Some see that as rude.

Now the real question for you is whether to argue if the original post really belongs here. While you spoke about how Daniel's reply seems rude to you, you took no real stand on the issue of the original post's nature.

[Quoted] Do you think it is a great hardship to keep such posts in the Marketplace group and out of this group? If enough people support such a stand, it may persuade Daniel and myself. I've seldom seen more than one or two (outside of the spammer) take that stand.

To other readers, especially lurkers:
[Quoted] [Quoted] Come on people speak up and take a stand. Ultimately in an open group like this, persuasion is the final authority.

  Ed Received on Fri Jun 04 2004 - 20:50:52 CEST

Original text of this message