Re: Connecting to Oracle 10g on Linux

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 20:15:15 GMT

Eraser wrote:

> I recently downloaded
> Oracle 10g into my personal Linux box.
>
> By following the instructions at
> http://www.togaware.com/linux/survivor/Oracle_10g.shtml,
> I installed it into a Debian box.
>
> I can connect just fine through sqlplus, however, I would like
> to be able to use a more user friendly environment (under Linux).
>
> I downloaded Tora (http://sourceforge.net/projects/tora/) but for
> some reason, the only connection provider that shows up is
> PostgreSQL. Does anyone know how to add a connection provider
> for Oracle to Tora?
>
> I also downloaded a Java based SQL client called SquirrelSQL
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/squirrel-sql/) but I can't
> make it connect to Oracle. The URL that I'm using to connect is:
> jdbc:oracle:thin:_at_localhost:1521:test.
>
> When I try to connect I get the following error:
> Oracle: Io exception: The Network Adapter could not establish the
> connection.
>
> Do I need to do anything special to make Oracle listen for
> connections? As far as I know, port 1521 is the default port
> Oracle listens to, but I'm not sure my Oracle instance is listening.
>
> Any pointers appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Eraser

[Quoted] make sure the oracle listener was properly configured and and started...

   find the listener.ora under $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin and make the appropriate edits.

ps -ef |grep lsnr
or
netstat -a |grep 1521
should tell you whether or not it started

a simple google search for "oracle 10g lsnrtcl" yields:

 From << http://www.togaware.com/linux/survivor/Starting_Stopping.shtml  >> for TOGA on Debian... "(You may need to change the listener.ora to have the IP of the box, as opposed to the hostname, otherwise clients machines may not be able to connect.)"

Michael Austin Received on Sat May 29 2004 - 22:15:15 CEST

Original text of this message