Re: Problems starting SQLPLUS ?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 22:20:36 -0700

Davis wrote:
> john.hetherington_at_xansa.com (Happy John) wrote in message news:<4cc96e58.0405270127.4261f71@posting.google.com>...
>

>>When I start SQLPLUS it takes ages to do anything. Even when I dont
>>enter any details on the command line, it takes 1 minute to ask for
>>username.
>>
>>We are running on AIX? Could it be a system problem, we have alot of
>>KPROC processes.
>>
>>Regards, John

> There are several possible reasons including Oracle Server slowness,
> application server slowness, and networking issues.
>
> If you want to try and narrow things down, you could try our Super*SQL
> product which is Java based and perfoms many of the same functions as
> SQLPlus. If Super*SQL connects quickly then the problem is with your
> application server (i.e. the machine that SQLPlus is being launched
> from). If Super*SQL connects just as slowly as SQLPlus, then telnet
> to the Oracle server machine (if you can). Try running either SQLPlus
> or Super*SQL from that machine. If the connections are fast, then
> your network is the problem.
>
> Super*SQL is in Beta test so you can use it free of charge. For more
> information visit www.sqlmagic.com

According to your own web site your product does the following:

"query, report generation, and data subsetting tool."

Not one bit of it relevant to diagnosing the problem posted by the OP. I hope I am not misunderstanding your intent but it seems to me that you have hijaacked the OP's post to make a rather shameless attempt to sell your product. And if that is the case I am not amused. If it is not the case I would be most appreciative of you explaining how a query and report generation tool that costs money can diagnose a network problem better than a query and report generation tool the user already has or one that is free.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu