Re: Problems starting SQLPLUS ?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 15:57:23 GMT

Happy John wrote:

> When I start SQLPLUS it takes ages to do anything. Even when I dont
> enter any details on the command line, it takes 1 minute to ask for
> username.
>
> We are running on AIX? Could it be a system problem, we have alot of
> KPROC processes.
>
> Regards, John

Answer: yes, it's possible that you have a system problem. I'd narrow it down to one of: hardware, software or configuration.

You do not describe whether the SQLPlus session is local to the machine running the Oracle server, or remote.

Standard troubleshooting technique would suggest some of the following:

  • check the SQLplus from the other one (local/remote)
  • identify the load on the machine(s) (are there load-related bottlenecks)
  • review the system swapping/paging
  • review memory usage
  • review standard TCP/IP networking issues (or appropriate protocol)

Also, when asking for assistance or ideas, version numbers (OS, Oracle, Oracle Networking, etc) are useful.

/Hans Received on Thu May 27 2004 - 17:57:23 CEST

Original text of this message