Re: mod pl/sql

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 16:27:36 GMT

Oradba Linux wrote:

> Thank you for all the links . I am browsing through them . My confusion is
> documents are geared towards
> using Oracle Application Server . I just want to turn on the http server
> that comes with the Oracle Database
> Software . I am not sure how much of a learning curve will be to install
> the either 9iAS or 10g AS .
> My objective is to learn owa , htp packages and may be build a small
> application .
> Having said that is there a way to block the admin page of the Oracle HTTP
> Server to public viewing .
> I created a DAD and i am able to write some packages and call them from my
> browser .
> But i want to see if there is a way block the admin page of the Oracle
> HTTP
> Server from public viewing .

The Oracle HTTP Server powered by Apache and the mod_plsql are exactly the same whether you are using the 'version' supplied with the database or the application server.

Where it starts getting significantly different is in the OC4J (the J2EE environment), primarily because (as I understand it) you can not use the OC4J for your own applications unless you have an App Server license.

Effectively the http server, being open source, is free-for-all, but the Oracle extensions require apprpriate licenses. (For some parts, Oracle provides a run-time license which generally means you can use but not change or develop in that environment.) However, the technology is the same.

So you should find a directory called %ORACLE_HOME%/Apache, and that should contain a subdir called Apache which contains pretty much the standard Apache httpd stuff. the httpd.conf points you to an mod_plsql.conf , posibly via an intervening oracle.conf and the mod_plsql.conf is configured per the docco provided with the App Server.

Also, when you're reading, avoid using or learning about JServ. IIRC, JServ was Oracle's implementation of servlets? before the spec was released.

/Hans Received on Sat May 22 2004 - 18:27:36 CEST

Original text of this message