Re: Developper 2000 master/detail

From: Jan Gelbrich <j_gelbrich_at_westfalen-blatt.de>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 08:46:08 +0200

Hi Curtis,
comments inline.

"Curtis" <cmarchand_at_norambar.ca> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:77459c6d.0405180755.5f7e93a4_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi Jan,
>
> So the way you explain it is that the only way

Wow ... "the only way" ... I generally hesitate to say such things ...

>I can get
> Sql
>
> Select a.cycle,a.item,b.dimension
> from production a, commande b
> where a.cycle = b.cycle and a.item = b.cycle
> order by b.dimension;

OK, this SQL is what I guessed for myself when I saw Your tables; but I was not sure because I do not know Your data. So You confirm You do *not* have a Foreign Key construction. You even do not have IDs BTW ...

> to work in forms is to populate text_box's with info returned by sql.
> And not create block1 with join condition to block2 using wizard.
> Wizard doesn't allow above select.
>
> Is this correct?

Well, I am not sure if there are really *no other ways*, but as far as I can see
with the information provided,
You have 2 tables with some join conditions *only* (without FK) and consequently 2 blocks in the form with *no relationship* between each other,
and that is: without *FK* relationship.
In this case, You do not need the wizard (except for just creating the 2 blocks),
but You might want to write Your own workarounds in a WHEN-NEW-BLOCK-INSTANCE-trigger using PL/SQL, on both blocks, to define all actions that You want
when You jump from one block to another, like item populations, setting block properties, query executions or whatever.

It is not that seldom
that one have >1 blocks with no relationsships between them. This is the sort of work beyond the wizards, in more complex forms, or Forms that have to deal with non-normalized databases.

hth, Jan Received on Wed May 19 2004 - 08:46:08 CEST

Original text of this message