Re: Developper 2000 master/detail

From: Curtis <cmarchand_at_norambar.ca>
Date: 18 May 2004 08:55:02 -0700

"Jan Gelbrich" <j_gelbrich_at_westfalen-blatt.de> wrote in message news:<2gr7beF5s1t3U1_at_uni-berlin.de>...
> <snipped>
>
> The relation between the two tables
> > is cycle and item.
> >

> This is the point: it prooves that Your data model in the database (ERM)
> is some sort of "strange" (like many others ...),
> it has no classical Foreign Key contruction, e.g.
>
> Table1
> (
> id primary key,
> ... other columns
> )
>
> Table2
> (
> id primary key,
> Table2_Id [foreign key]
> ... other columns
> )
>
> Table1 is the Master of Table2, the FK is 1:N .
>
> For M:N, the construction would be
>
> Table1
> (
> id primary key,
> ... other columns
> )
>
> Table2
> (
> id primary key,
> ... other columns
> )
>
> T1T2_Combinations
> (
> Table_Id1 [FK to Table1],
> Table_Id2 [FK to Table2]
> )
>
> T1T2_Combinations maps any combination of Table1 and Table2 data.
>
> But what You describe is nothing like this, You seem *not* have any
> FK-relationship
> defined. Instead, You have 2 matching columns - this is no FK. The result
> then
> depends totally on the data.
>
> This is no Forms issue. It is an ERM issue in the database (once more) !
>
> So my suggestion would be, to check the actions that You expect from Forms,
> try the SQL in SQLPlus or some similar tool. Forms can only map what the SQL
> does.
> So: check the data. When You have Your expected result in SQL, according to
> Your data,
> then retry to map it in Forms.
>
> hth, Jan

[Quoted] Hi Jan,

[Quoted] So the way you explain it is that the only way I can get Sql

Select a.cycle,a.item,b.dimension
from production a, commande b
where a.cycle = b.cycle and a.item = b.cycle order by b.dimension;

[Quoted] to work in forms is to populate text_box's with info returned by sql. And not create block1 with join condition to block2 using wizard. Wizard doesn't allow above select.

Is this correct?

Best regards!
Curtis Received on Tue May 18 2004 - 17:55:02 CEST

Original text of this message