How control buttons in JSP created by JDeveloper 10g?

From: Roberto Devo <jdevroberto_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 4 May 2004 12:22:43 -0700

Hi there,

I'm currently working with some educational content I found here: http://otn.oracle.com/obe/obe9051jdev/ADFtoJSP/defaultendtoend.htm

I followed these steps:

-Create new app workspace
-Use the default web application template
-right click the model node in the upper Left Hand Side (LHS)
 to create a new business components diagram
-Here, I deviate and create this package name:
 com.e2e.model
-Establish a connection to the demo HR schema via Connections-navigator
-Drag-drop DEPARTMENTS table into the new business components diagram

Next, they lead through these steps to create the next layer of software they call 'ADF View Objects:

-Drag-drop a 'View Object' from 'Business Components' palette on RHS
-Drag-drop the ADF-Entity-Object inside the new ADF-View-Object

Next, they lead through these steps to create the next layer of software they call 'ADF Business Services':

-Drag-drop an 'Application Module' from 'Business Components' palette on RHS
-Drag-drop the ADF-View-Object inside the new Application Module

They say that at this point, creation of the Business Services layer is complete.

Next, they lead through these steps to create the layers of software they call Model and View Controller:

-On the LHS bring the Application-navigator to front
-Expand ViewController node via left-clicks
-Right-click open a Struts diagram from the struts-config.xml node
-From RHS, Drag-drop a DataPage from Struts palette
-Drill down into resulting diagrammed object
  -During drill-down-dialog make it a .jsp
-This opens a .jsp design editor; add some text and various HTML objects
-Open 'Data Control' Palette on RHS
-Pick 'read-only table' from drag-drop pull down
-Drag-drop view object into .jsp editor
-Drag-drop various operations into the bottom of the page:
  -first, previous, next, last
-Run the .jsp via the green light right-click in struts diagram

Next, they lead through these steps to create a .jsp which allows a user to insert a new row into the DEPARTMENTS table:

-On the Struts diagrammer, create a /createDept data page
-On the Struts diagrammer, use 'Forward' components to
 setup back and forth navigation between  /deptBrowse and /createDept
   -/deptBrowse -- Create -- > /createDept    -/createDept -- Submit -- > /deptBrowse
-Drill down into /createDept
-Pull down 'Input Form' from Data Control Palette
-Drag-drop DeptView1 from Palette into .jsp editor
-Notice that a 'submit' button was created for me
-Add commit, rollback buttons to the .jsp editor of /deptBrowse page
-From data control palette,
 Add Create button to the .jsp editor of /deptBrowse page
-Edit a property of the Create button
-Run the deptBrowse page

At this point I bumped into a bug. The commit, and rollback buttons did exactly the same thing as the Create button; they sent me to the /createDept page. An additional problem was that the commit key did not send a commit to the DB; the data from the form never got inserted into the table.

I should be able to debug this if I can get some understanding about how buttons work in this environment.

I understand how a button works in an ordinary HTML form but not in this .jsp that I created. From an HTML perspective, one thing which seems odd to me is that the form tag has no action attribute. Somehow, the App server is sensing my button press but I don't see how.

So, my question is kind of general: How do I trace/debug button presses in .jsp files created by JDeveloper 10g?

-moi

jdevroberto_at_yahoo.com Received on Tue May 04 2004 - 21:22:43 CEST

Original text of this message