Re: ORACLE 9i INIT FILE

From: Douglas Hawthorne <douglashawthorne_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 09:15:58 GMT

"Georges Ravel" <Georges.Ravel_at_free.fr> wrote in message news:opr6wisi06an8599_at_news.free.fr...
> I installed Oracle 9.2 on Windows XP Pro.
> As the startup db takes 100Mb of RAM, I want
> to reduce the SGA size. But I can not find the
> init file anywhere. Can anybody please tell me
> what to do? Thanks

The answer is "It depends!". You might be using the SPFILE or the init.ora. If a SPFILE is found, then it is used before the init.ora unless you override this on the STARTUP command.

By default, both of these files are in the %ORACLE_HOME%\database\ directory.

If you are using SPFILE, then you can use the ALTER SYSTEM command to change most system parameters by specifying the appropiate scope (MEMORY or SPFILE or BOTH). Check the "9i Database Reference" for which parameters you can change.

Douglas Hawthorne Received on Fri Apr 23 2004 - 11:15:58 CEST

Original text of this message