Newbie: Forms Installation/Configuration problem

From: Alfie <not_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 12:50:35 +0100

Hi,

[Quoted] [Quoted] I can successfully build a test form - it links to the database fine, so I [Quoted] can create a single base table default form under scott/tiger. It compiles succesfully. However, when I try to run I get:

TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error

I have seen references to this error but with many causes, so I'm not sure which configuration step I'm missing.

Perhaps if I describe what I did, the ommision may be obvious. I'm working on a single stand-alone Windows XP pro machine running the latest versions 10g of the database and developer.

I installed the enterprise database successfully to c:\oracle with orahome = c:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1, orahnam = OraDb10g_home1. Sqlplus etc work fine.

I install developer to another directory c:\oracle\OraDS10g_home1 and orahome equals this with orahnam = OraDS10g_home1.

I installed jinit.exe.

I then start OC4J instance from the windows start menu under <Forms Developer> It states it is initialized.

I have done no other configuration at all.

I can build and compile the form as I described above using <Forms Builder> but when I try and run it I get the 12560 error.

When I start Oracle Net Manager and look at: <Listener><Other Services> I see Program name = extprog,SID=PLSExtProc, Oracle Home Directory = c:\oracle\OraDS10g_home1 <Listener><Listening Locations> Host = localhost, Port=1521.

Scouring the web I have seen mention of tnsnames.ora so I include both the database and developer directory versions below.

If any other info is required just let me know.

TIA for any help.

# tnsnames.ora Network Configuration File: C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\network\admin\tnsnames.ora # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

ORCL =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = localhost)(PORT = 1521))     (CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
(SERVICE_NAME = orcl)

    )
  )

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = PLSExtProc)
(PRESENTATION = RO)

    )
  )

# TNSNAMES.ORA Network Configuration File: c:\Oracle\OraDS10g_home1\network\admin\tnsnames.ora # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = HOSTNAME)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = PLSExtProc)

    )