Re: Oracle Reports and Oracle INstallation Questions

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 04:40:26 GMT

Rohit Dhawan wrote:

> I have Oracle 9.2 installed in my computer and want to use Oracle
> reports builder 6i. Is it possible to use both of them. When I tried
> to install Oracle report an Forms 6i the Oracel Installer reported the
> error
>
> " cannot intall oracle reports 'nt' on Oracle beta 82".

Either you have Oracle9iR1 beta, in addition to your Oracl9iR2 (possible with an early Oracle9i App Server Infrastructure), or you have a messed up config. Make sure your homes are set up right, your TNSNAMES are OK and you are really pointing at Oracle9iR2

Be aware that Oracle recently changed their numbering scheme as follows:

9.x.y.z

  x = database version
  y = app server version
  z = patch/fix level

Unfortunately that occured between Oracle9i database release 1 and 2. Database release 1 displays 9.0.x ..... but that should not matter as all databases (except App Server infrastructure) should be at 9.2.x by now if you want to retain sanity.

> 1)If i use Oracle 9.0.2 would I be able to use Oracle 6i.

Oracle9i Database version 9.0.2 is NOT Oracle9i Release 2. You can not use this config. Or are you referring to Oracle9i App Server release 2?

Get Oracle9i R2 = 9.2.0.1 (or pref. 9.2.0.4) from the usual Oracle source. Preferrably buy it (or download it from http://otn.oracle.com)

> 3)From where can i get Oracle Report 9i

Same place. From Oracle. It's part of Oracle9i App Server 9.0.2 or 9.0.4 Note that 9.0.3 is ONLY the Java stuff

Oracle9i App Server JVM releases roughly match industry JVM:

9iAS = J2EE/JVM
----- ---------

9.0.2    1.2
9.0.3    1.3
9.0.4    1.4

however, I suspect that starts to make sense and I doubt the pattern will continue.

> 4)Oracle 8i needs jrew.exe which is not longer available in java so
> ,the option of installing Oracle 8i doesn't exist.

You don't want to go there. Go straight to production releases or Oracle9i

> 5)How do i create another ORacle Home if one is already created

Answer the appropriate question in the installer. (In effect, type a new Oracle Home in the installer's window.)

> 6) If I have to migrate my stuff from Oracle 9.0.2 to Oracel 9.2 How
> would I do that

Please spend some additional time reading the installation documentation that comes with the database (9.2.x) and the App Server (9.0.x). A number of these questions are answered in those two docs. They are available free of charge, at http://docs.oracle.com

Also, the tutorials at http://otn.oracle.com/obs/start are pretty good. Work thru them as well.

/Hans Received on Mon Apr 19 2004 - 06:40:26 CEST

Original text of this message