Re: Forms Builder: open form as child, but run procedure in main form

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:19:31 -0700

mangozero wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a problem in Oracle Forms Builder 6. I have an application that
> should start an oracle stored procedure and should show meanwhile the
> progress of that procedure in a second form. I created both forms, I
> can open the child form, but I cannot run the procedure.
>
> I have following ideas that I cannot realize:
>
> -------
> 1. From the 'MAIN' form I open the form 'PROGRESS'. The progress form
> will be visible, but I execute the procedure in the 'main' form. The
> progress form will query a table where the procedure writes some
> status messages. After the procedure is finished I close the progress
> form again.
> eg:
> open_form('PROGRESS', ACTIVATE, SESSION);
> start_procedure;
> close_form('PROGRESS');
>
> -------
> 2. Or a second idea is to run the procedure in the background (but I
> don't know how?). then open the progress form and display the status.
> i would imagine there is a functionality, which starts a procedure and
> doesn't wait for the result, but continues to execute the pl/sql
> block.
>
> Because I was not able to realize any of my ideas, I would be pleased,
> if someone could help me in solving any of the ideas.
>
> Thanks
> ManogZero

The only way you will get this to work is if you use the DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO built-in package SET_SESSION_LONGOPS

http://www.psoug.org/reference/dbms_applic_info.html

First start the procedure ... then open a form that repeatedly queries v_$session_longops.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu