Q: create view with null column

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 16 Apr 2004 15:34:01 -0800

[Quoted] I wish to create a view where one column is always null but has a width. (The view is to temporarily mimic a table where that happens to be true).

The technique I used was (e.g.)

    decode(other_column,'its_never_this_value','xxx','') "allways_null"

which produces a column of varchar(3) but the value is always null.

However this depends on using another column in the table, and depends on that other column never having the indicated value.

I tried various combinations of functions with a constant, but then oracle knows that the value is always going to be null and I don't get a column with.

I wonder if there is some simpler, cleaner way to do this. Received on Sat Apr 17 2004 - 01:34:01 CEST

Original text of this message