ANSI Embedded SQL, OCI, ODBC what should I use?

From: alederer <alederer_at_gmx.at>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 08:57:01 +0100

Hallo!

[Quoted] I have an application currently using Oracle Dynamic SQL Method 4 to access the database.

Because of new requirements which can't be handled with Oracle Dynamic SQL Method 4 ( unicode and LOBS), I have to rewrite the interface.

But which kind of interface should I use?

The interface must be available on all plattforms i need: Windows, AIX, Solaris, Linux.

ANSI Dynamic SQL Method4 sounds that it should be not much effort to rewrite the current Oracle Dynamic Method 4 code.

What are the advantages of OCI ?

Because the application has also a ODBC db interface, this can also be a option. But are there all things supported via ODBC (LOBs, unicode) ? Is the ODBC interface of oracle available on all plattforms?

Whats about the performance issues of the different interfaces?

I am grateful for any information or links to further information which is useful to make my decision.

thanks
andreas Received on Thu Mar 18 2004 - 08:57:01 CET

Original text of this message