Re: SQLPlus and DSL internet connection in local usage

From: Pete <jik_at_jaja_at_com>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 09:07:11 +0200

[Quoted] [Quoted] I have newest version of both Windows XP and Oracle 9i (Personal Edition). [Quoted] DSL internet connection should not have anything to do with this problem. But it seems to be so that if you install Oracle in your personal PC Oracle starts to look "something" from internet if you are connected
into it.
For clearyfying this I'm not running Oracle in office now, I'm running it at home to test some SQL scripts.

>Do yo have a DBA and if so why hasn't that person helped you?
[Quoted] Haven't hired a DBA for home ;)

[Quoted] [Quoted] I have another PC here home too running SQL Server. It's also connected to internet and I have no problem running it locally in my PC.

> Oracle is not certified on home though it
> sometimes/often runs on it anyway.
By the way, why threre is a Personal Edition if it does not work properly if your PC is connected to internet ...

There has to be some configuration information somewhere which tells Oracle to run locally (e.g. localhost, 127.0.0.1) not using or echoing everything to internet.

Pete

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1079131377.987293_at_yasure...
> Pete wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Can anyone please tell me what "switch" should I put and were in
> > configuration files that SQLPlus would work locally in my PC?
> >
> > Situation is following: I have a WinXP PC that is connected to Interned
via
> > DSL-modem. When I start using SQLPlus and try to log in into it, SQLPlus
> > gives TNS listener not found errors. If I disconnect my PC from Internet
> > (disconnecting DSL) SQLPlus runs in my PC locally like I want it to run.
> >
> > So, where to give that configuration information that tells SQLPlus that
I'm