Re: Test tools

From: Rolf Unger <rolf.unger_at_ctilabs.de>
Date: 12 Mar 2004 13:04:19 -0800

ei99030_at_fe.up.pt (cc) wrote in message news:<d089995f.0403110243.7f0032b7_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
> I´m working on one enterprise who work whith Oracle DB, they use lots
> of versions. They wont mi to study metodologys to plan and execute
> software tests, for example when they run a new script. I´m like to
> now if someone could help mi, about that. I need information about
> tools (if there some), about others enterprises who work wiht the same
> tecnology, Cases Studys and metodology that can be used whith Oracle
> to execute tests.
>
> Tanks

Hm, what do you mean if you mention "software tests" and "new scripts"? Do you mean performance behaviour? Or do you want to test the logic of a script?

For performance issue you can simply do a

SET TIMING ON in sqlplus and you will get the execution time of your sql statements in milliseconds (or some other units). The exact value probably won't matter, as long as you see that it increases or decreases significantly if you make changes in your statements.

Alternatively verify the execution plan of your queries. Sorry, I'm not too deep into "execution plans", but if you google for this topic in the oracle groups -- comp.database.oracle.server is probably the best starting point -- you should find lots of hints.

If you want to cope with logic errors, the general rules of good programming apply also to SQL:

  • Use comments! You are forced to explicetly formulate what you want to achieve.
  • Do not cut'n'paste code! "Cut'n'Paste is chewing gum for the mind!"
  • Discuss your implementation with a fellow. Usually you will learn to see the problem from a different point of view.

Hth, Rolf. Received on Fri Mar 12 2004 - 22:04:19 CET

Original text of this message