Re: Crystal Reports integration with Oracle 9iAS

From: Ana C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 16:55:52 -0800

mackkm wrote:
> We have developed many Crystal Reports w/ CR 8.5. These were all run
> against an Oracle 8i database through an Oracle 6i Forms. We are now
> moving to Oracle 9i database and Oracle 9i Application Server. Have
> moved the Forms 6i to the Application Server and everything works
> great except the reports.
>
> We cannot get them so the user can view and then print the report form
> their workstation using the Oracle Forms interface. We have tried the
> HOST command and the ORA_FFI. They do not run.
>
> I have opened a TAR with metalink.oracle and this was their response.

> We do not have any information about the Crystal Reports integration
> with Oracle Forms 6i as Crystal Reports is a 3rd party application.
> You can try using Host command or ORA_FFI functionality. To
> reiterate, ORA_FFI and Host commands all execute on the middle tier,
> not on the Java Client. This implies that they cannot carry out any
> user interface interaction, as the display being used by the user is
> not the same display as the middle tier. Hence, the web forms
> client/user cannot view and interact with the report, as the report is
> not visible to him.
>
> FORMS SERVER RESTRICTIONS
> ===========================
> Although the Forms server allows you to deploy your existing
> applications without major changes, some restrictions are imposed by
> the three-tier architecture which you will need to take into account:
> *** OCX, and VBX controls are not supported. As the user interface is
> not on the same machine as the runtime engine, there is no way for the
> control to display. As version 6.0 of Developer Forms Server supports
> the use of Java Beans, you can replace the functionality provided by
> the Windows Specific control with a similar Bean.
> *** User_Exits, ORA_FFI and Host commands all execute on the middle
> tier, not on the Java Client. This implies that they cannot carry out
> any user interface interaction as the display being used by the user
> is not the
> same display as the middle tier.

> I would like to avoid redoing all of the many complex reports in
> Oracle. What alternatives do we have?

Since you seem desparate, here is a shot in the dark.  From FORMS invoke Crystal Reports via host command. Have it create the desired output file in either HTML or PDF format somewhere under Apache's DocumentRoot. Then use Form builtin to display this file to the client.

HTH & YMMV Received on Fri Mar 12 2004 - 01:55:52 CET

Original text of this message